23 August 07

Encounter With a Double Murderer

I had been put to work in the kitchen. There were no dishes to wash, so I put two crates at the foot of a wall and sat down.
Magpie, a chunky Indian who has stabbed to death two separate inmates, came up to me and said, “I put those crates there. That’s my seat.”
I ignored him.
Magpie looked at the youngster we were working with in the clipper room, and said, “Tell him whose seat that is.”
The youngster said nothing.
“I always sit there in the corner. Look, England, I can see that we’re gonna bump heads already.”
I started to take notes.
“You can’t be writing shit down in here. And if I find out you’re using my name, I’m gonna fuck you up.”
“I’ll write whatever I want to write. Everyone knows I never use real names.”
“Well get off your ass, man. That’s my seat.”
“I put those crates here.”
“I’m telling you now, that’s my corner. I've got that corner. That’s where I sit. I can see it now, I’m gonna have a problem with you. I’m not bullshitting you, I’ll put you in the garbage disposal head-first.”
I ignored him.
Holding a scraper with a long blade, he came at me and and said, “Now talk some shit, England.”

To be continued.


Email comments to writeinside@hotmail.com or post them below

Copyright © 2006-2007 Shaun P. Attwood

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd just swallow your pride and give the dumb fuck your seat. It's not worth the risk of getting in any shit when you're so close to the end of your sentence. You've got plenty to look forward to when you get out. No point in prolonging it or getting hurt over such pointless shit.

Jonesy said...

Like Alex said, give him your seat.
In fact knit him a bloody crochet cover for it if necessary.
Get out in one piece, mate. There are a lot of people waiting for you to buy them a pint!!
BTW Steve is home and OUT!!

Rachel x

Jonesy said...

Jon,
Like Alex says; give him your seat.
Get out in one piece, please. There are a lot of people waiting for you to buy them a pint.

Tread carefully!

Rachel xx

Sue O. (aka Joannie, SS) said...

You are the brave one, Mighty Mouse, and just remember:

Three things bear mighty sway with men,
The sword, the scepter and the pen,
Who can the least of these command,
In the first ranks of Fame will stand.
Joseph Champion

Unknown said...

wow, way to go balls to the ball!

Anonymous said...

Backing down now might give you a lot more problems in the future. You need a 'you give me this, you can sit here' deal.

Anonymous said...

NEVER EVER EVER give him your seat. For those who are unaware, in prison politics, if you give something up, it never stops. It follows up with personal items, and quite possibly personal violation. Stand your ground. Remember Jon, this isn't an issue you can quell diplomatically. You cannot run to the head of personnel and state your case. This is prison. Hold your ground. -Jose in San Diego.

Anonymous said...

yeah your going to have to fight for a chair and thats stupid but you gotta do what you gotta do. i would stand up and be like "your going to fight me over a chair fine then motherfucker lets go". see if he backs down. if not fight and try not to get hurt to bad.

Anonymous said...

The ominous silence continues....

Anonymous said...

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. You probably thought you were doing right at the time.
I suppose some people have to learn they can't get their own way.
Maybe he will respect you some.
If he was a bit more friendly, you could have offered for him to sit next to you!!!!!

Terry B

Anonymous said...

I think the initial instant reaction of most people on the outside is "whoaaa, give the man his seat. It's not worth the risk". However, you then sit back and think that us on the outside live by different rules - you give up your seat so easily in prison then who knows what he'll be taking from you next. Good luck with it mate, you seem to be able to talk people round or keep your head down as the situation requires.