Question Time with Lifer Renee

Renee - She was only a teenager when she received a 60-year sentence from a judge in Pima County. 15 years into her sentence, Renee is writing from Perryville prison in Goodyear, Arizona, providing a rare and unique insight into a women's prison.

Chris Phoenix asked: Could these things (screwdriver etc.) actually help in an escape attempt? Or is Jackie just suffering some kind of compulsive-theft syndrome, or perhaps stealing for resale, and the guards are claiming escape because it's the easiest answer?

Renee responded: I guess a screwdriver could aid in an escape, and also from the staff’s point of view it could be used as a weapon or allow an inmate to jimmy locks and get into panels…
I believe Jackie is a compulsive thief, but then this environment breeds thieves because no one is given anything.
The guards claimed escape because it is the worst ticket you can get.

Syncopated Eyeball asked: Hi again, Renee. Will Jackie be allowed back eventually? I guess that remains to be seen. I'm also wondering what you ARE allowed to keep in your cells?

Renee responded: Fortunately, Jackie is back. God was looking after her or someone because the guards wrote the paperwork wrong, so she beat the disciplinary ticket on a technicality. Now they’re just preventing her from getting a decent job, but she is alright. She’s scared to death to get a ticket now. I think maybe she lost the sticky to her fingers.
As to what we’re allowed in our cells. I have a 13 inch TV, a Walkman CD player, some CD’s and tapes, a small digital clock, 3 storage boxes (which is the maximum amount allowed per inmate), my bedding, 2 blankets, 2 sheets, 1 pillow case, a stinger, a 9 inch fan, a small lamp, 1 bowl, 1 cup, clothing (7shirts, 2 shorts, 3 pants, 4 bras, 10 panties, 7 socks, 2 sweat suits, 1 jacket, shoes), books, mail, store items (hygiene, food, writing material).
As I look, all of these items are items I bought from the inmate store. I do not remember the last time the state provided me with something.
When they do “clothing exchange,” they exchange items with used items, and I’m sorry but I draw the line at wearing someone else’s used panties. If you know someone who works in laundry, you can get the “homey hook up” i.e.) new stuff, but I’m not real good at kissing ass and playing nice.
I take really good care of my stuff.

Click here for Renee’s previous blog

Post comments for Renee below or email them to writeinside@hotmail.com To post a comment if you do not have a Google/Blogger account, just select anonymous for your identity.

Shaun Attwood

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I spent 3 years at Perryville and your blog really brings it all back vividly. Stay strong, Renee, there are a lot of former Perryville sisters out here praying for you everyday….