Question 2: Locked-Up Abroad Raving Arizona


For the next 9 days, I'm going to post a question about the episode and my answer.

When the money started rolling in from selling Ecstasy, what did you spend it on? Any extravagant trips, investments or goods?

Although I had fun spending it, I regret the enormous waste of money. I started using limos like taxis, and spent thousands on clothes. When I first arrived in America with only student credit cards to survive on, I lived off cheese on toast, and bananas, and shopped at Ross Dress For Less, whereas at the peak of my wealth, I’d jump on a plane to go clothes shopping on Melrose Avenue, LA, or Caesar’s Palace in Las Vegas. Most of the money went on raves and lavish after-parties at resort villas that lasted for days. I gave drugs away for free because it suited my ego back then, which was as big as the Grand Canyon. I bought cars and rented apartments for my friends to show off, too. The cost of living in a million-dollar mountainside home with all of my other payments on apartments and cars raised my bills to $20 - $30 thousand per month. I invested in a rave clothing/music store called Sound Factory in Tucson. The Phoenix New Times reported that I flew my ailing grandmother over from England and smuggled money out of the country in the frame of her wheelchair. This is untrue. Not only did I lack the smarts to save any, my grandmother never had a wheelchair. After prison, I was deported back to England with no money or assets whatsoever. Rebuilding my life in the UK, I’m still scratching my head, wondering where it all went.  

Click here for yesterday's answer 

My story in Vice Magazine with pics from my new book Party Time. 


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I watched "Raving Arizona" the other night and I remember you talking about agreeing to take your first ectasy pill in Arizona and the eurphoria you knew it would bring and how that would "enhance" the music, the dancing and all of that. I found it so interesting how your need for a "party pill" just to party turned into such a huge and profitable money machine. I guess it may have looked like easy money at the time but I sounds like you now realize the price for easy money was way too high and you sure did pay that price in a big way. The devil is sly, sometimes what appears bright, shiny and wonderful is really quite the opposite. You bring up such an important point about why living right is the true meaning of success.

Gail

Jon said...

yes, Gail, there's always a price to pay in the long run, nature balances its scales

Anonymous said...

Shaun do you ever miss that luxury lifestyle? Or has it made you appreciate a more normal lifestyle? Mandy X

Jon said...

I live a humble existence now, but I wake up with a smile every day, Mandy, because I am alive. I'm on a much different path now. The outpouring of support following the episode made me see how much hurt the US justice system is causing across society. I want to help alleviate that pain in my own little way.

Anonymous said...

Thinking about your story...if you watch the "lock-up" episodes of Arpaio and "his" jail, do you agree with how they portrayed him..or like me, believe he is a heretic, and is being used to "sell" prison to the population? Read alot of articles you have put up on Facebook and such. A great read! Your story is compelling and I wish you success in your future..

Keith

Jon said...

arpaio's jail is a conveyor belt to the prison system, where each inmate represents $50,000 per year of tax payers money, its a business model, arpaio gets massive political contributions to keep it going

Anonymous said...

Wow Shaun, I am so impressed with your ability to to have spread your message about so many things that hit so close to home for my family. I was a "raver" at your parties in the 90s unbeknownst to me until I started reading your blogs years ago. Luckily I didn't use drugs, but later in life my husband was a drug addict, spent many years in Sheriff Joes jail (towers included) as well as prison in Buckeye, Florence, and Winslow. I didn't understand a lot of what my husband was going through, and frankly, wasn't sure I could believe all his stories until I started reading your blog. I learned the behaviors of inmates, and the prison mentality by reading your blog. I am so proud that you have changed because of your experiences, and so has my husband as he has been out of prison for 3 years this May and off drugs 7 years this August. Sharing with the world about the AZ jail/prison system is what you do, and hopefully enough negative lime light on it will help with much needed change. You have obvious determination and drive, and that my friend is something you should be mighty proud of. Not even half of inmates released stay out let alone are successful! Bravo to you and the Locked Up Abroad story and all the education about the drug/prison life that hopefully these kids will hear you and you will save some from going down that path of destruction that I am all too familiar with. Thank you!!

Misty

Jon said...

Thanks for such an inspirational comment, Misty. I wish you and your husband all the best from England.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your story with us, you're amazing!