I had to pick 7 popular tunes to play and discuss (in relation to my life and how they make me feel) on BBC radio tomorrow as part of the Party Time launch. It’s a pre-recorded show, so I’ll post the podcast next week. Here are the 7. If you have any thoughts that might be helpful, please post them in the comments.
1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgYi-fmi9tk – Although the video is rubbish, this is my all time favourite tune from my raving days. No, the girl in the video isn’t my friend, Jessica Arviso
2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLCHARjjrws - This Moby classic reminds me of when raving began in the UK and the “Madchester” scene
3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iKFn8dlxX8 Love this tune and the movie/book Trainspotting.
4. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NFV8dHrZYM – More recent, but so uplifting with a Manchester feel to it.
5. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pgum6OT_VH8 - Loved listening to Muse in my jail cell on my Walkman. “Chasing starlight. Black holes and revelations.” I’ve been there!
6. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lyu1KKwC74 “We’re a slave to money and then we die.” Love it.
7 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ldOuVuas1c Love the piano sound. It’s an inspirational song about thriving against the odds. From Wiki: The song's Spanish title, "Viva la Vida", is taken from a painting by 20th century Mexican artist Frida Kahlo, which translates into English as "Long Live Life." When asked about the album's title, referring to Frida Kahlo's strength, enduring polio, a broken spine, and a decade of chronic pain, Chris Martin said: "She went through a lot of shit, of course, and then she started a big painting in her house that said 'Viva la Vida', I just loved the boldness of it."