31 Dec 04

New Year’s Resolutions

I have two New Year’s resolutions: firstly, I will try my best not to harbour ill-will towards people, no matter what they say or do; secondly, I will intensify my reading and studying. I hope to read 1000 books by the time I get out.

The first resolution necessitates I gain better control over my emotions. Yoga and meditation have made me a calmer person. I pay less attention to the drama here. I forgive those who have hurt me in the past, especially the people involved in my case.

From time to time I read something maddening – especially instances of injustice – and I feel compelled to write something scathing; however, by the next day, I've calmed back down, and if I’ve written something not lacking in emotional content I’ll tear it up. That’s one of the advantages writers have over public speakers.

For my second resolution, I intend to study six new subject areas: ethics, international business law, justice, military science, behavioural finance and commodity price behaviour. I concocted this list after looking at last year’s bibliography and categorising the hours spent on each subject. It became evident that my study program has been lopsided towards the stock market, history, philosophy, biographies and Spanish.

To where my fanatical studies are leading I do not know. I relate to how Jean-Jacques Rousseau claimed he felt in his youth when he had not yet solidified his opinions:

"…by collecting a store of ideas, true or false but all of them clear, until my mind is sufficiently equipped to be able to compare them, and choose between them."
My feelings about injustice grew stronger in 2004. This blog is a platform I will continue to use to highlight injustice. To end injustice we all need to speak out.

‘The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good people do nothing.’Edmund Burke

Send comments to writeinside@hotmail.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"I found your first New Year's resolution interesting and perhaps a bit counter-productive. I fully recognise that writers should not slag off other people or comment too critically as it sours the impression of the piece of work. However, people should be corrected when they are wrong or doing something wrong. Your public values your opinion. It adds the personal touch to your story so don't stop or alter the course your writing has taken you. You are an excellent writer and other could only hope to aspire to such articulate, expressive, and concise writing, including myself. I look forward to reading your up and coming blogs, especially interviews with your fellow inmates."
Julie K