Medical Issues (Part 6 by Lifer Renee)

Renee Only a teenager, she received a 60-year sentence. Sixteen years later, Renee is writing from Perryville prison in Goodyear, Arizona, providing a rare and unique insight into a women's prison.

I’m still going back and forth with Medical. Waiting is crazy. Not feeling well has effected everything. It is hard to get through my work days. If I do feel decent, I’m so exhausted. Most days, I have to make or force myself to do the things I need to do. My yoga has suffered greatly with how ill I’ve been feeling.

I was standing in the doorway of my cell when my friend, Jen, who teaches aerobics class, was walking up the staircase with a scale in her hand. I told myself, Don’t do it Renee, but I didn’t listen. I said, “Jen, I want to weigh myself.”
“Sure babe, come on,” she said, but the smile on her face said, Are you sure?
We went into the rec room. I stepped on the scale
“What the fuck!” slid out of my mouth.
“Babe, you lost six more pounds, you're 122.”
“I couldn’t have. I eat all day long!”
Some of the heavier women were staring as if I did not have a right to complain about losing weight.
I left the rec room a little manic, and saw my room mate. “I’ve lost six more pounds,” I stated, throwing my hands up in the air.


Shaun Attwood

No comments: