Introducing Chris – A Young Person in a UK Prison

At my talks to schools, the students often ask how the US jail experience compares with the UK. In response to that, Chris, a young person serving in a UK prison, has agreed to blog his experiences.

Excerpts from his first letter:

My crime was death by careless driving under the influence of drink and drugs. My best friend died by my side in the passenger seat of my car. It’s by far my worst life experience.

I was involved in the raving industry, attending Ministry of Sound and illegal raves at private locations throughout London. I often took pills and more occasionally pure MDMA at parties.

BUT – Having come to jail has made me think twice. I have a beautiful and loving family and girlfriend who are by my side. I now know I don’t need drugs or the need to go raving although it is tempting. I know my priorities now. I want to build a strong future, for myself, my family and my girlfriend.

I started my sentence at a remand jail for adults. My first few days were heartbreaking. It truly was terrifying. I felt angry, lonely, unsatisfied, the list goes on with so many negative words…

I was sentenced to 38 months, having only to serve half. It is very stressful at the moment. I really miss my family, my girlfriend, and friends. With my girlfriend, I prepare for the worst, but hope for the best. I love her with all of my heart, and couldn’t imagine life without her. That is what is making me feel so down at the moment.

Prison is a living hell. I will tell you much more in my next blog.

Click here for the UK female prison experience by Andrea

1 comment:

JM said...

Thanks for the blog post Chris. I can only imagine the suffering you must be going through after losing a friend in such a manner and at the same time having to deal with being away from your own family. The pain caused by drugs is no-holds-barred and reverberates into so many lives. I hope you can find peace. I look forward to reading more from you.

~ Big Jason