22nd July 04 Deadly diseases

My cellmate, David, responded to his hepatitis C result by popping a cocktail of pharmaceutical pills. Shortly after, he had a seizure. His contorted trembling body was carted away, but he survived.

The jail staff did not teach inmates about how diseases are spread. Diseased inmates are housed with healthy inmates. They share nail clippers (1 per 100 plus inmates), hair clippers, tattoo guns, syringes and other personal effects. I witnesses inmates with diseases serving chow. David would probably not have contracted this disease – which may shorten his lifespan – if some simple preventative measures had been in place. David is coming to terms with possibly having to die before his time.

The small amount of money that it would take to put preventative measures in place is surely worth less than David’s life. The average taxpayer may complain about paying for the upkeep of the jails, but the medical bills incurred by David and many other inmates in his situation will add far more to the taxpayers’ burden in the long run. It sickens me that this is being allowed to happen.

Today, I watched an inmate refuse to give a DNA sample. He was surrounded and strapped into a chair. The sample was taken.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have just been reading your journal. I am so taken back at what I have just read. I am glad that you have come through the shocking inhmane ordeal at your previous jail. It seems that those who are supposed to be upholding the law are the ones who are abusing its power. I hope that conditions will improve, and it is great that you have the support of your family and this internet page will be a tremendous way of communicating your thoughts and highlighting the conditions which people live in on a day to day basis.
I am praying for you and your family. Keep positive. You appear to be a very intelligent person, and I am sure that there will be a very positive outcome at the end of this ordeal. I will log onto this website in the future. Take care and God bless.

Anonymous said...

I really like your new site. Your descriptions of life inside the jail will make people think. I will be sure to send the address to my friends. Keep up the good work.
Marty

Anonymous said...

Since they don't educate you all in jail about infectious diseases - you can tell your cellmates this - Hepatitis C is spread by direct blood-to-blood contact only. You cannot get it from casual or sexual contact nor by sharing food or personal items with someone. The vast majority of people who have Hep C contracted it either from tainted blood transfusions in the eighties or from IV drug use.

-An MD