Question Time with Lifer Helen

Helen’s boyfriend murdered her son. Not only did she lose her son, but she was sentenced to 20 years for the murder. 9 years into her sentence, she’s writing from a state prison in Georgia.

Leigh: Are you seeing triple bunking (three to a cell previously housing two) like the guys are?

Helen: No, I’m not seeing the triple bunking because yet again I was moved to C-unit. I live now in a room with 15 other women, so there are 16 of us.

Leigh: I'm curious about the programs the state brags about. Are you at a facility that has the horse/ animal rehab thing? Or the choir that just released a cd? Do many people actually get to participate in those things or how does that work?

Helen: We are offered very little here as far as programs. They have a pig farm here, but it’s hard to get on it.

Leigh: Has the smoking ban gone into effect yet where you are?

Helen: The smoking ban doesn’t go into effect until December 2010.

Jose in San Diego: Are you eligible for parole? Are you in the middle of appeals or have you filed?

Helen: As far as parole, I come up for review in 2011 and my TPM is 2015. But I feel like I’ll get out before then. I’m currently going through Project of Innocence.

Jose in San Diego: What is your level of classification?

Helen: I’m medium security, and have been the whole time I’ve been locked up.

Well, I really thank everyone for the support, and hope to hear from you soon.

Helen

Click here for Helen's first blog

Post comments and questions for Helen below or email them to writeinside@hotmail.com To post a comment if you do not have a Google/Blogger account, just select anonymous for your identity.

Shaun P. Attwood

2 comments:

Robert35 said...

hey girl it's me from Millen again. Remember to write me as often as you can. I believe you. Call me when you can. and never forget, I love you. Did you get the last letter I wrote to you. I did received yours. I hope you are doing okay. I think about you and pray for you daily. YOU ARE NOT FORGOTTEN!!

Robert

Anonymous said...

great topic