A Doomed Sock (by Polish Avenger)

Polish Avenger is one of the brightest men I met during my incarceration. He is serving a 25-year life sentence. He recently agreed to start writing for Jon's Jail Journal.

While attending our local school of higher education, namely the Arizona Prison's Work-Based Vocational Training, I've found that trying to learn complex tasks is not helped in the least by the standard-issue sack lunch provided by the guards. Whatever brain food might be, it is definitely not processed turkey offal. Thus I try to provide for myself. For the last year, I have been smuggling in baggies of peanut butter, so I don't have to eat the rot-meat. Smuggling is required as we are officially prohibited from bringing food from our cells into the school.

Everything had been going splendidly until last week. I was on my way to school, and for the first time, the baggie stashed in my sock gradually slid its way south.
Uh oh, I thought, trying to discreetly wriggle and squirm it under my arch, so it wouldn't burst. There were too many guards around for me to remove my boot and fix it properly, so I just had to roll with it, stepping gingerly all the while. About half way there - pop! Squish. Oh dear.

At school, I hobbled to the W.C. to inspect the damage.
Maybe it's just a pinhole, I thought.
Alas, it was anything but. Peeling back the elastic revealed the empty bag mashed up by my toes, and the entire underside of my foot heavily slathered with a thick coat of peanut butter. Hmph. It seemed lunch was no longer on the schedule.

I stripped off the oily befouled sock, flipped it inside out, and placed it lovingly atop the rubbish bin. It looked as if it had been used to mop up a bowel eruption with.
I went on my way, a bit hungry yes, but consoled by the thought of the poor soul who had to empty the trash that day.


As this is Polish Avenger’s first blog for Jon’s Jail Journal, your comments and questions would be greatly appreciated.

Email comments and questions to writeinside@hotmail.com or post them below. To post a comment if you do not have a Google/Blogger account, just select anonymous for your identity.

Shaun P. Attwood

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I had to look up offal, so I learned something today. I'm glad you can keep your sense of humor while hungry... you are a better man than I.

Anonymous said...

Loving it so far. The variety displayed by all the bloggers just constantly amazes me and makes me sad at all the brilliant minds that are wasting away in America's prisons because of a system that has clearly failed to work.
I do believe in justice, but having worked with the system, i know it sucks, big time!!
Good work polish avenger.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to read more from you Polish Avenger! Great sense of humor. :)

Cityboy said...

Bring forth the Polish Avenger !

More of a different angle than the other postings which is welcome. Can we maybe have a little more history on him and how he become incarcerated ?

Cityboy

Jon said...

Cityboy,

All in good time, my friend.

Shaun Attwood

Anonymous said...

I agree with City Boy. A quick synopsis about his incarceration as well as how he got that handle. Short, but so far ok. Thanks Shaun. -Jose in San Diego.

paroleeplanet said...

I did about 20 years in Michigan's Dept. of corruptions, I mean corrections, I'm currently on parole for my 2nd offense armed robbery. These stories keep me focused on keeping my ass out of prison. I used to hit the chow hall in Kinross corr. fac., pans of chicken patties, whatever was edible and guys wanted out of there, I was that guy to holler at. Great work to everyone involved in this blog.